Monday, June 20, 2005

happy score reporting day!

I've taken a bit of time out over the last couple of days to try to get oriented. LA is massive and intimidating, and I'm finding it far too easy to sit tight in this apartment ignoring the fact that I live here now and I should probably, at some point, figure out what the area is all about. To that end, Aaron and I took advantage of the sunshine yesterday and drove up past Malibu to confirm that we are, in fact, near the ocean, and Jody and I drove around for an hour or so today as an experiment in (not) getting hopelessly lost. While not directly related to my goal of finishing my curriculum by Sunday morning, I think these were productive and even necessary diversions. After all, this is my community for at least the next couple of years, and the last thing I want to do is come into my classroom like a disinterested outsider. That's no way to make a connection with my students.

I was happy to get out of the house today in particular because today is Unofficial Online CSET Score Reporting Day, and 5pm Pacific was the magic hour. I was antsy and unproductive the first few hours of the day, and those hours just about killed me. Getting out allowed me to think about other things, and even to re-focus on my Diversity readings (arrrrgh) for an hour or two when we got back. I'm sure you've figured as much by my tone and a noticable lack of overwrought and/or suicidal statements, but I passed all four of my subject tests, meaning I am on-track for hiring, and also that if I do not pass the CBEST, you can judge me especially harshly.

Of course when I got done checking the CSET website for my scores, I discovered that they had been in my gmail inbox since 1pm. Of course.

1 comment:

mila said...

we're on opposite sides of the world, but things aren't so very different. i hide in my house to avoid my scalding hot and overwhelmingly large city too! (and i am also fearful of my lsat scores which will be coming in next week...)

congrats mina! you are on your way.