Wednesday, July 06, 2005

how i suck and will never be placed

In ten minutes I've got to run off to an evening session which I expect will be the death of me, so I thought I'd better dash off one last note, just in case.

I need not have worried about the interview today, because I still do not have a placement. It was kind of strange. They had two of us interview together, and I generally went first, gave the Wrong Answer, and then the next girl chimed in with the Right One. She is really amazing and I think it will be a good fit for her, so I'm not too bothered by the whole thing. A sample exchange, though, for your enrichment:

Interviewer: So, why do you want to teach middle school?

Me: [insert yesterday's spiel about how I used to envision myself with high schoolers, because I love working with them, but I am open to loving working with middle schoolers, and find myself tremendously inspired by their openness, energy, and thirst for knowledge]

Interviewer: Oh. Well, in my experience there are High School People and Middle School People. No one is both. How about you? Why do you want to teach middle school?

Other Girl: Oh, I just think the kids are at the greatest age. [insert similar spiel, only without the high school part]

Then when I got back to school, my yummy veggie sandwich (cucumbers, avocado, tomato, lettuce) was actually a narsty mayo sandwich with avo, tomato, cucumber, lettuce, and an additional packet of mayo. You know. Just in case.

Also I twisted my ankle. It's starting to hurt.

There's a huge post coming tonight or tomorrow, covering today's actual content: hashing out lesson plans, the arrival on campus of thousands of students, my staggering class size, and my first glimpse of the skill level of my own students. Right now I have to go write behavioral guidelines and parent letters with my group. It may come to blows between two of the group members, one of whom may or may not be myself. Then I get to drag myself, bruised, broken, and sprained, back here, to finish my lesson plans and my two application essays.

It's been awhile since my last all-nighter.

2 comments:

klinton said...

Good luck on your lesson plans, essays, etc. tonight. Although it is (and was) a fuck-ton of stuff for you to do, you can't read through this blog without realizing that you're going to be an amazing, passionate, caring and very involved teacher, wherever you're placed. Until then, I hope things continue going well during the pre-teaching phase(s).

Amelie said...

Hint: Get into your collaborative, no matter how much they suck. Take turns doing the 3-day-in-advance lesson plans. It's ok if they're (vague) crap. If you have to do one of those along with planning your lesson for the next day, you will never, EVER, EVER!!! get any sleep. I promise.

Also, if you need any emergency lesson plans, let me know.