Tuesday, July 19, 2005

day by day

Things are getting weird around here, between all the freshly minted acronyms (for example: IBFs/IGFs/IONs: Institute Boyfriends/Girlfriends/One Night Stands; SFGs: Significant Fucking Gains; etc.), episodes of Cafeteria Tummy, and 2am Kinko’s runs with people whose names you no longer bother to find out. I just walked out of the dining hall and ran into Mike, who was marching around wearing some type of WWII-style helmet for no apparent reason. I did not even blink.

I ended up getting just under 4 hours of sleep last night and I’m hoping for 5 tonight, but time will tell.

We wrote our first exam tonight. I don’t get to proctor it, though. Instead I get to teach a lesson on brainstorming, outlining, and drafting an essay - immediately after they are done taking that exam, and at the very end of the school day, no less. I expect it will be a real treat.

My bed is covered in stacks of papers. Some of them are mine, some not. Some are graded, others not. Some I have never seen before in my life.

I wish that I had lots of insightful things to say at this point, but really all I’m doing is going day by day, making sure my lessons work, trying to connect with my students, and doing my damndest to sleep, eat, and shower, in descending order of priority. I haven’t really had a bad day in the classroom yet. There have been lots of what I call “Learning Days,” days in which I walk out of the room knowing that if I had it all to do over again, not more than two words in a row would remain the same. This is not the same as a bad day. Bad days are when five students in the back of the class are sleeping face-down on their desks, and someone is making birdcalls in the back of the class, and one girl is giving you sass and two boys are hitting each other and that’s when your regional director walks in with the review sheet. Bad days are when teachers go into the hallway between periods and cry, and over dinner they talk about going home.

1 comment:

Amelie said...

"Giving you sass."

When I was little, my friend's 102-year-old great-grandmother used to babysit us after school. Sometimes she would yell out (completely unprovoked - we weren't even in the same room as her), "Don't sass me!"

umm, I didn't really experience first-hand the crap that other people did, but my favorite out-of-control-kids story comes from a girl in my Corps, Dana. She taught math (way out of her content area) to six-graders. The middle school teachers had it far worse than either the high school teachers or elementary teachers in Houston. Anyway, one day some kid calls her a fucker and gets moved to another desk. Then, a CMA walks by the class. The kid goes, "Heyyyyyyyyyy, fucker!" to the CMA.

My other favorite "Really Bad Day" story belongs to the South Dakota CM who quit, Chris. On the day he left, he gave the kids a little pep talk. "I think you are all great kids, and I'm sure you are going to go on to do wonderful things in junior high and high school. I just know that I am not the person to lead you. I know that your next teacher will help you to see everything that you are capable of becoming," etc. Anyway, like three or four of the 30-some kids in his class were even listening to his farewell speech, and the others had no clue what the hell was going on. Some kid says to him, "Meester, why are you going? Is it cause we bad?" He said, "No, you guys aren't bad, but I do think that you should try hard to be good for your next teacher." "No, meester. We gonna be bad so you come back."

awww?