Monday, December 19, 2005

words and pictures

My favorite student got OT'd for jumping another student. I saw the aftermath, him slammed facefirst against a brick wall, the look in his eyes. I do not think he did it.

My thorn-in-the-side student got OT'd for his personal safety. He was jumped three times, the first of which resulting in a huge black eye and five stitches. I would feel bad for him if I did not know that he did something to warrant (if not deserve) this, and if I did not believe that he will learn nothing from the experience.

Grades were due Friday. I will probably get them in tomorrow morning.

I baked bread yesterday. Lots of bread. I have so many new systems to implement and lessons to try out next semester...but right now, bread is about my speed. I am so done with students.

Thursday and Friday were finals, so we had full-length days but with four classes per, two of them doubled up, resulting in my having some students for 3 hours per day. Today was finals too, but it was a half-day, so we got out at 12:35. Tomorrow and Wednesday are "regular instruction" days, meaning six periods of post-finals class which students know do not count towards their grades, but they are short days - not our regular 1:53-release professional development short days, but rather, 2:11-release. Thursday, the last day of school, is a completely normal day, releasing at 3:24. When we come back on the third, it is a reverse professional development Tuesday, meaning that we get out at 3:24, but that we sit in a meeting for the first hour-odd of the day, until the students arrive at 8:48. They are really excited about that. I would be too.

I am not even remotely in the holiday spirit. Wonder why.

Please to be enjoying these examples of the odd, mundane, and deformed which have lately caught my eye.


Bow down! Bow down! Before the power of marshmallow Santa! Or be crushed! Be crushed! By....his jolly boots of doom!*



It's officially intentional...the display was switched this week from McCormick to Von's brand pepper. I am still purchasing pepper from the spice aisle. It seems less salmonella-y.


I apologize for the glare and the shadows and the bad angle. It's really difficult to photograph, but this is my favorite sign in South LA. So many messages going on!



At least one person in this town is awesome.



Blurry, yes. And yet...that about sums it up.

*five points for the reference.

12 comments:

Alan said...

Ahem, Zim xmas special. I got all zim like the other day at work, the conference room here at work doesn't have great ventilation so when 20 people are in there for like 3 hours, it just smells strange. So I made the comment to several people in the room “oh god it stinks in here!” “Like what?” “Like people.” Thankfully they found this hilarious. I went outside to get air.

Alan said...

I also find it funny that BK decided to go right to Vegan, most likely because it takes up less space, but I've always though of Vegans as the 9th degree blackbelts of Vegetarians.

klinton said...

That billboard is really awesome. I've never seen anyone do just that to a high-up billboard (as opposed to those that are closer to the ground).

The sign is also very interesting, and would be my favorite too, I think.

By the way, Jacqueline and I will probably be in L.A. area some day between the 28th and 4th. Will you potentially be around and up for hanging out?

mina said...

Five points to Alan. But of course I knew it would be you.

I think the BK sign is so incredibly insulting to vegans. To everyone, really - like we're all so easily swayed by a bad case of gastrointestinal discomfort dressed up as a heart attack nestled inside a bun. Convictions? Do those come with cheese?

And yeah, how did they get up there? It's right next to a Von's (my old one, not the current one) on a super-major, well-lit street. You'd think someone would have caught them. Vegans are many things but generally I would not call them stealthy.

I'm going to be out of LA from the evening of the 23rd to sometime on the 1st. I am off on the 2nd, then back to work on the 3rd.

How could that sign not be your favorite? Plumbing! Cabinets! Girls! A regular one-stop shop!

rae said...

nrrghh.i had a very zim train ride today..do you remember where he is on the bus and there is one guy sneezing,one guy drooling, and it is a like a sick band? that was this train. i swear i saw some guy eat his own ear wax.

klinton said...

So am I to understand that if we're in town on the 2nd, we might get to see you? If so, we're totally there.

By the way, I of course didn't know the reference. And I didn't connect that with Alan's Zim comments. So I was really, really confused at Alan's post. haha. I thought it was just a strange lead-in to the stinky conference room story.

And yeah, the billboard is certainly a little insulting...

MAM said...

Klinton, shame on you! How can you be ignorant of the greatness that is Zim?! Even I, an avowed snob and shirker of cartoons, love and embrace Zim! You, now, have no excuse. Especially, when we are all so united by these references.

I feel this Xmas (Jaz, remember Paul's only witty comment on this topic?) that the jolly boots of doom may well crush me.

mina said...

Hmm, witty comments...I remember that there was one...yet the specifics elude me. Damn! His one moment in the sun and I have lost it!

I do remember the inane ones, for some reason, of which there were several.

I totally feel you on the jolly boots of doom thing, though. Looks like Santa's here! RAISE THE SHIELDS, CHILDREN!

And how the hell are you, anyway, stranger?

Alan said...

Eddie's sign gets better every time I see it. I want counter tops and or cabinets and or plumbing that slammin, or whatever the duce kids say these days. My verification word of the day is "qonks"

Alan said...

you have to admit there is a certain ring to "Triple Murder Sandwich"
I’d like the murder burger please, no mayo though, *that* stuff is gross

siobhan said...

Jasmine! I implore you, let us come see you in your castle, and let down your hair...I miss you, and it will be sad if you are but a stone's throw away and I don't get to see you :( it will make baby Jacqueline cry.

mina said...

Cry?!? Well, we certainly can't have that. Stop by; we can go to brunch or something. I haven't seen you in forever!