Friday, June 08, 2007

fire-extinguished!

The Universe, it seems, was unsatisfied with last week's minor respiratory disaster, my walking out of my classroom and into a cloud of mere pepper spray. This morning, the ante was succesfully upped when I was summonsed to sub during my conference for DR, my most ideological opposite in the English department and luckily, my SLC-mate and four-doors-down neighbor. I am sick once again today, with my throat swollen almost shut this morning and having spent all last night shaking with cold and fever, but much as I wanted to spend the period asleep on my couch, I signed the damn paper and headed over there fourth period, and was rewarded with a faceful of freshly-sprayed fire-extinguishing chemical dust.

Working here has made everything normal. I thought, "Hmm. Should probably document," reached into my bag, and pulled out my digi-cam. Then, covered face and opened windows, took kids waiting on balcony to my room where I supplied them with markers and a small stack of books on tagging, called the front office, and texted everyone I know to let them in on the story. DR is pretty universally loathed; I knew it would be the pick-me-up everyone needed on a dull, plodding Friday like today.

At this rate, I fully expect to be mustard-gassed by the end of the school year.


7 comments:

annie said...

what the heck?

mina said...

Yeah, DR is on the way out and isn't even trying to teach anymore, resulting in rowdier-than-usual kids. On top of that, the teacher subbing that period has legendarily bad classroom management. Rowdy kids + easy-to-take-advantage-of sub = fire extinguising fun. I figure, at least they didn't actually start a fire first, just sprayed the chemicals everywhere.

What astounds me is that the subbing teacher didn't stick around to call the deans or write a note or anything. Just closed up the room and headed back to class. WTF?

annie said...

i take it that this sub will not be asked back? or are you like us and desperately need bodies?

hey, guess what? we had a non-reelect up and quit on us last month.

that's never happened since i've been here. it's not just the kids being squirrely.

mina said...

It was period-to-period coverage, meaning that it was a permanent teacher. Argh. A math teacher, of course. You'd have to hold a kid off the roof by his ankles to get fired with that credential.

annie said...

not necessarily.

MM said...

yeah I think one would have to let go of said ankles, it would also have to be on video, and several witnesses present

Alan said...

dang it! ^
------------|

that is me, not Margaret.
I seriously need to separate our logins, she owns my googlenets