Thursday, June 21, 2007

the best feeling in the world

An age ago, when I was still in school, I would walk across campus sometimes, and something about the way the breeze would rustle in the trees, or a bit of conversation I would overhear, would fill me with this almost inexpressable joy, a feeling that surprised me at first in how it really is a swelling in the chest, and I would think to myself, "I am really, really happy here." That feeling was gone for a long time when I left. And now, just as suddenly, it's back. It's seven p.m., and I'm sitting in my warm, colorful classroom, reading my ESL students' essays on Romeo and Juliet. This is going to sound like bragging, but I have to say, they are blowing me away. They have really, really learned something this year, and they are honest-to-god ready to move on to mainstream English. And as for me - I, for the very first time, know what it feels like to be successful at teaching. It is the swelling/bursting feeling again, the feeling like I am in the right place, at the right time, doing the right thing.

Reading Area #1:

Newly-created Reading Area #2:

I swear I have space in my classroom for doing actual work.

6 comments:

SraLra said...

What a gorgeous room! Congratulations on the kiddos, too. Life is good sometimes, huh?

annie said...

oh mina, i'm so so happy to hear your kids are "getting it".

your reading areas are the bomb.

juani and i want to know where you got that gorgeous pink armchair.

love the book stands, too. bet you have a hard time keeping them stocked!

mina said...

The pink chair is fantastic, isn't it? Unfortunately it belongs to an off-track friend of mine, who found it, I believe, at a resale store of some kind. We're sneaking out next Friday and shopping for more furniture for the rooms, so hopefully I find something near as good for when she takes that one back the following week.

Yeah, it's good to have some success, especially right now, when I'm gearing up for the new year. It makes me feel ambitious. Also, it takes some of the sting away from the utter failure that is my 9th grade class. I'm a little scared for next year, because I've only ever had success in my ESL classes. I was horrible at teaching the seniors last year because I just didn't know what to do, and I failed miserably with the 9th graders this year for any number of reasons, even though I was much better prepared, especially in the second half of the year. Third time's the charm?

Either that or, by this time next year, I will have failed at teaching all 4 levels of English. Awright!

annie said...

it's only failure if you don't try.

and you try.

and i lust after that chair.

L.A. said...

wow wow wow...i dont know about your teaching skills but your classroom must be the best in l.a..

anyway just keep trying. if it really turns out you only excel at teaching esl, trust me there are many jobs where you can do only that all day.

Julie Carney said...

Wow. Great reading space. It's also awesome to hear of your accomplishments teaching ESL students.

I recently helped some folks start a blog, and would appreciate any feedback you might have.

Thanks!

Julie
http://youngentrepreneurfoundation.wordpress.com/