Monday, September 26, 2005

back on campus

After last week's "vacation" (ie 40 hours of professional development,) it is back to the sub's life for me. On my triumphant return, I discovered:
  • My school is now approximately 85% less competent.
    I arrived this morning to see that Mr. B, 1/9 of our Assistant Principal force and the man in charge of assigning subs, coordinating and ordering resources and technology, and working with new teachers, among other things, was not at his ordinary post in front of the gates, greeting the students and turning away those in blatant dress code violation. Instead, it was Campus South's principal, Mr. B's boss, looking grim. In the front offices, no one knew what sub jobs were open or what the plan was for the day. Once in a classroom, I noted that the voice making the morning announcements over the loudspeaker was not, as it should be, Mr. B's. While Mr. B has been absent from time to time, this seemed different, unplanned - and nothing was going right. It took another few hours before someone confirmed my worst fears: Mr. B quit last week, apparently in frustration at the lack of support he had in running the school more or less single-handedly. I can't really blame him -he had to lie in bed every night and wonder, What do the other 8 APs do? Anyway, I'm sure he got a job at a better school which will hopefully realize his worth. As for us...well, God help us now.

  • My long-term position was dissolved...and undissolved.
    Apparently they got rid of all but two English classes, then had a balancing meeting and decided they could keep the class after all. A teacher has been hired, but she is at another school right now and needed to give them notice. I will be the sub for the next two weeks, until she gets here. The drama classes are gone (praise Jebus) and some new English classes are being brought in. Additionally, the head of the SLC, who has been laying the smack down on these kids the last few days, has come up with a list of assignments which need to be done in the next two weeks and which will be part of the students' permanent grades. So, that takes away the planning element, leaving me free to ward off student advances, confiscate cell phones, encourage/cajole/beg students to work...

  • The drug problem is that serious.
    I haven't witnessed much of it myself, though friends and colleagues have busted kids for smoking pot and sniffing glue on campus, and in one very special episode, actually doing meth in class. Today, though, we had to drag our kids back into first period because we had paramedics in the main building, and no one had bothered to make the Please stay in your classrooms announcement until after students had already begun flooding out into the hallways. (This would not have been the case had Mr. B been there.) Once we got the all-clear, a distinctly not-Mr. B voice announced that we'd had four students ill and that the paramedics had needed the hallways clear to tend to them. Four? One is a seizure. 75 is food poisoning. But four can only be drugs.

  • Vacation makes everything easier to deal with.
    Even if it is professional development.

3 comments:

klinton said...

haha. i haven't heard "praise jebus" in forever.

Amelie said...

Oh man. There is nothing I hate more than professional development. 80% of the employees at my school are native, and it usually turns into a "discussion" between the native teachers and the white teachers.

We had a math inservice last week about how we should not be giving boring homework assignments and tests because math is all over out here on the reservation. Instead, we should have our kids doing beadwork and building teepees because, after all, that is math. I would much rather be teaching than going to professional development.

Then again, I'm coming off of a 4-day weekend. No school on Fridays, and then death in the community on Monday. When someone dies, we don't have school because the wake is in the school gym. It was an elder, but over at Crazy Horse School a student died on his way to school yesterday (kids around here get in car accidents pretty frequently because the roads are really bad). And a teacher at American Horse, one of my high school's feeder schools (it's K-8) died last week while breaking up a fight at school. That school is only 15 minutes away and is the closest school to mine.

I realized the other day how my feelings regarding death have really changed out here. It's almost like being in a war zone, I guess. Except the way it is dealt with is really civil and comforting. I don't know how to explain it, because it is both completely normal and the biggest deal ever when it happens out here.

That's too bad about Mr. B quitting. Our math teacher is quitting. We are already short one math teacher, too, and I think the only certified teacher we have in the math department is a second year CM.

And yeah... four is definitely drugs. What is the deal with meth these days, anyway? I think I'm going to post those before/after photos of meth users that were in the Oregonian up in my classroom. It was actually a really good article, even though the Oregonian is a crap paper. They use that article in the meth program out here.

Jasmine, you are always welcome to come teach out here. We have an opening for an English teacher (11th and 12th grade). I know you can't, for a couple of very good reasons, but if things ever start to get too annoying out there, feel free to come on out.

I am really beginning to love it out here but, then again, I thank God everyday that my school is as disorganized as it is. I could never, ever function in a school that runs smoothly because I don't run smoothly.

mina said...

I would hands-down rather be in my own classroom than in PD*. However, I would rather be almost anywhere than subbing for a class of rowdy, hastily-mainstreamed freshmen who can barely read, threaten each other regularly, and were put in your class against their will. They would physically beat on each other in class and tell me they were "method acting." This would be really funny if it was happening to someone else. I have stopped categorizing both day-to-day subbing and SpEd teaching as subsets of GenEd teaching. To my mind, they are completely different jobs.
*professional development

Four of the TFA Ten here are SpEd teachers. I have the utmost respect for what they do. They already look so weary. It's not that the job is impossible or that there are no resources - just that the available resources are impossible to access.

Yes, there are ten of us here. Our PD** has dubbed us "The FreMonster."
**program director

There is math in beadwork and teepee building - as long as you explicitly make the connections and do the formal computations in conjuction with the holistic, creative, hands-on approach. Teepee building does not help you to balance a set of books or understand volume in any way that I can see. That gap-bridging is often where things fall apart, I think.

Meth: I freakin' know! I was expecting alcohol, weed, and crack, but I had not even really considered meth. Turns out it's one of our biggest problems. Lots of crack, lots of meth. Also, inhalants various.

Apparently my school used to have a kick-ass prevention and rehab program. Then the funding got cut. Woot.

What happened to the teacher breaking up the student fight? Was there a weapon involved?

It's funny - I think about death a lot more down here, too, mostly because it's more immediate now. Just about every Monday my kids are telling me who got shot over the weekend - last time, one of my TFA friends' students. (He is OK, but his friend is dead. They were riding bikes and some car pulled up and asked where they were from. The story is always the same from this point forward.)

The difference is that, while death is viewed as completely normal in my community, there's none of that "biggest deal ever" sentiment to partner it with. The attitude is pure que sera, sera. I cannot comprehend this, and I know that this fact will mark me forever as a perpetual outsider to the community. Of course people will accept what they see every day. But inside you think "...but not this. Surely not this."

I could sit here and speculate on causes and mentalities and whatnot, but as I say, I am and forever shall be a newcomer to this community. Besides which, I know those people, and I always want to bludgeon them with a copy of Pedagogy of the Oppressed. You know of whom I speak.

By the way, did you know that South Central is now just called South LA? It's like when Oakland changed "East 14th" to "International Boulevard." You know. Because that solved so many problems for them.