Monday, September 25, 2006

new york.


If I posted at all regularly, you would probably have noticed that I have been gone for the past week. At the moment I'm taking advantage of JetBlue's free wireless while I wait for my plane to start boarding, which should be happening any minute now. Thoughts on travel:

It is SO. SO. SO. easy to sort out the New Yorkers from the Angelenos on these flights.

I'm without lipgloss and am a little stressed about it. They confiscated it because it was a gel. I hold that it is really pretty close to a solid - it comes in a little pot and cannot be poured, but must be warmed up and applied with a finger, like Carmex. It has honey in it so maybe they were afraid I would try to feed it to a baby or something? The exchange went like this:
Airport chick: I'm going to have to take this.
Me: That's considered a gel?
Airport chick: Well, anything with this consistency.
Me: They let it through on my flight out.
Airport chick: They probably didn't catch it.
Me: (silently) And it didn't blow up then, did it.

So now I have no lipgloss. Whine whine whine.

Boarding!

7 comments:

MM said...

You do not look very happy in this picture. Did your trip go well?

annie said...

yes, you look very sad.

mila said...

of course she is sad - they took her lipgloss!

hope your flight home went well, i miss you already. it is sad to not have a mina to come home too. i'm stuck with only a boring old mitya.

Alan said...

the lip gloss stuff is so stupid. Margaret and I saw multiple women re-buy an entire makeup kit (or at least a ton of product) once they were behind the security checkpoint. I'm sure the Body Shop will try and keep this policy in place for as long as possible. They have to be making a killing off of it.

mina said...

Of course I was sad - they took my lipgloss and I had gotten up at the CA equivalent of 3am, just so that I could leave my friends in lovely NY and fly back to not-lovely LA and go to class until 9pm (also CA time.) Mostly the lipgloss, though.

I was maybe also coming to the realization that it would be the dreaded WEEKDAY MORNING TV on the flight, and that I would be too tired to read or knit, yet unable to sleep. It was like "Hmmmm...A Baby Story, or the closet-organizing show?"

klinton said...

yeah, i love those flights where it's easy to tell who's from which city. The best was when I used to take the SFO - DFW flights, though the San Diego to Seattle flight I took last spring comes in a pretty close second...

siobhan said...

I'm glad I read your post before I flew to Texas last weekend - I just took anything makeup-related and put it in the checked suitcase. Thank you for helping me save my lipgloss, even after you lost yours.

I almost wished that you HAD said your retort to the security checkpoint dragons until I was in the airport and heard many warnings over the PA about joke-making at the security guards resulting in arrest. But it would have been hilarious.