Tuesday, October 25, 2005

the hour draws near

B-track comes back on Thursday. As my PD James reminded me today, we are the last Program members in the entire country to enter our classrooms and get down to business. I find this a bit ironic, as despite being a paperwork-procrastinator, I prefer to get actions over with. I feel like I've been inching into the frigid waters of teaching, rather than jumping in full-body, as I would have preferred.

That being said, I can kind of see where the inchers are coming from. I told James today, I'm about as comfortable as I can get on campus and in front of the class - any class - which is really a huge part of the early battle, and frees me up for the war.

I was on campus Friday for a meeting with the other Program girl with almost my exact position (except that she got soph English while I have seniors - ha ha!- and, her sub actually did his job - awwwdang) and the ESL coordinator, which was very productive. I was also there yesterday for a "buy-back" (optional but paid) day, which was somewhat less productive but quite informative. Our school has some huge grant from a known philanthropic organization (*coughgatesfoundationcough*) and it has recently come to the attention of the folks Up Above that we are not, so much, on track to improvement despite being handed wads of cash. So, this organization has been brought in to restructure the school in a way that will magically help our scores improve and our students become well-rounded, articulate, and college-bound. This will happen through switching to a block schedule, halving the size of our small learning communities (how? hiring more teachers? serving Soylent Green? or, as I rather suspect, waiting for another school to be built and then patting ourselves on the back for our accomplishment?), and giving every teacher, administrator, and "other qualified staff member" a caseload of 15 students to work with through their four years - creating their schedules, ensuring they are on-track, getting to know their families, and generally insinuating themselves into students' lives. This is going to be either a bloody war, or a complete nonevent, because no one will do it. We have huge culture problems at my school - the students don't want us "up in their business," and neither do many of the teachers think this is their job.

Anyway, I am waiting for them to truck in the fairy dust. Not because I don't think these things could help our school, but because I think people are going to resist the changes with all the strength in their bodies, and that the organization is getting in over its head. Homeboy making his presentation was talking about another "quite large school" they work with in Kansas City, which has 2200 students. My eyebrows went about through the roof - we have that many on B-track alone. We also have a tremendous amount of "teacher mobility" (read as: packing bags, never coming back) and statistics that make your blood run cold.

For instance:
77% discrepancy between sizes of freshman and senior classes (highly suggestive of dropout rate)
67% of students reading below 25th percentile, thus having a 50% likelihood of graduation
8% of students reading above the 65th percentile, thus having a 95% likelihood of graduation.

The Org brought these statistics to us, so it's not like they're unaware, but I did note that they seemed more severe than those of other schools they had serve. I also noted that the schools featured in their little videos had things like, oh, classroom supplies, equipment...

Anyway I am hanging out at home today writing student letters, making handouts, and planning my first week, or at least my first two days, back in the classroom. The first couple of days are rules/procedures days, and I also have to explain what it is we're going to be doing for the rest of the semester/year. I fully expect riots, as my seniors are being told that we'll have an in-class book in addition to an outside reading book, and that they will have homework, in the form of reading, every single night. These are the students who told me they did not read any books in English last year.

My ESL students are being told that they have to do half a semester's work over six weeks with a test about every two days, that their grades up until this point do not count for anything - the scripted program requires that at least 75% of grades be based on tests and assessments - and that they will need to work harder than they have ever worked in their lives in order to pass. In all likelihood they will not, which is in no way their fault, nor is it mine. My sub, in thinking that the important thing was his teaching of the first half of the class rather than assessing student learning, probably prevented students from learning the skills they need to pass the second half of the class. If they do not learn the second part of the class, they can't go on, as they would only fail the higher class. I am expecting about a 75% failure rate. I am not basing this on anything except my desire not to be floored by whatever it ends up being.

This is going to eff up my Significant Gains something fierce, but that is not the bad part. I just feel sick to my stomach when I think that a whole semester will have been wasted for these kids. ESL classes are like remedial college courses - they don't count for credit, and must be mastered before you can do well in your other classes. They've just been set back another four months. The anger is so strong that it's not even sustainable; it's like a blinding white flash every time I sit and think about it, and then I'm just exhausted.

This post feels really sort of sprawling and incoherent. I have been working on handouts for like seven hours; this is perhaps to be expected.

7 comments:

X said...

Hi its Prathna! I found this via Margaret's blog and decided to say hello and hope all is well with you.

The stats on this entry reminded me of a promotional piece used by my high school: 97% of our students go to college. They didn't specify that these 97% were the ones who go to Stanislaus State [that of coleslaw for mascot] or Modesto JC. Now, I have no qualms with JCs, except for Modesto JC which is the pit that NEVER EVER lets anybody go....

Hopefully we shall have a reunion of SLUgS Vice-Presidents.

annie said...

GADS girlfriend. this is horrible, horrible news. i feel so bad for your students. how in the h*** are they ever going to succeed with this sort of "help"?

sigh

all you can do is pull up your socks (yes, i know this is an antiquated saying) and teach them, prod them, nag them as much as you can. until they either hate your guts or love you to death or both.

much luck to all of you.

Amelie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amelie said...

The Org brought these statistics to us, so it's not like they're unaware, but I did note that they seemed more severe than those of other schools they had serve. I also noted that the schools featured in their little videos had things like, oh, classroom supplies, equipment...

I'm willing to bet that the teachers bought those supplies with their own money. Maybe they bought the desks, too. I don't know.

Looking back on it, my Institute school was pretty posh, with a bunch of (very fashionable) intelligent and dedicated teachers. My room didn't have windows, but who cares? The school had eight colors of butcher paper!!! Free! In the staff room! (Yes, it also had a staff room! With a microwave and a mini fridge!)

But, so you don't feel alone in this battle against the achievement gap, those statistics are not more severe than those at my school. Here, the graduation rate is 30%.

And a sizeable portion of those kids don't really graduate, they just have a parent or auntie who works at the school and can get their grades changed without the consent of the teacher.

mina said...

Prathna - Oh, Stan the 'Slaw. I wonder how he is doing these days. So, is that 97% of students who enter as freshmen, or 97% of those who graduate? Or do you just not have dropouts? Either way it's fucking phenomenal. Basically as soon as we have any statistic over 30% it's in a negative category.

Amelie - The school in the videos was a Houston school (Lee? Leigh? I kinda assumed Robert E., but maybe I'm biased by your experience at Davis...). Maybe they are just kinda posh. You know. For the ghetto.

My school: un-posh. Por ejemplo: tonight I must make a Kinko's run, because I went to make copies of tomorrow's tests after school today and discovered that every single copier on campus was broken. I do have a laptop, though! (little dance)

I'm fully aware that I'm not alone in terms of what I'm facing. I'm not entirely convinced that the Outside Org is really prepared to handle this kind of thing, though. Of course, I must check myself periodically and remember that I am in no way prepared to handle it either, so I really should cut them some slack.

Statistics are fun, aren't they? This is my favorite: My school has an average teacher absence rate of just over 20% per day. Woot!

I started diagnosing my English students yesterday, or at least the ones who were not out of class taking the CAHSEE, the California state exit exam. My biggest surprise is that I have one girl reading practically on grade level (!!!). My biggest sinking-feeling-in-my-gut is that I have one student on a fifth/sixth-grade level. And he's one of those who passed the test. What awaits me when the rest return tomorrow?

Amelie said...

Oh man. Luckily, we have a person that is really good about keeping the copy machine up and running. We frequently run out of paper, but it's not really a problem because I stash paper in my classroom.
"These are the things we have learned to do
Who live in troubled regions."

I'm pretty sure it is Robert E. Lee. Creepy, huh?

And about the Org not being prepared for this kind of thing... we had someone from the National office in last week. She looked entirely uncomfortable the whole time she was at the school.

20% teacher absence?! That's horrible! We have to come, because no one wants to come out here to substitute. I have to get a substitute in a couple of weeks for the regional Oral Interpretation competition, and I'm scared that I'll come back and the classroom will be destroyed.

I have some kids at grade level, but most of my kids are below a 5th grade level and several can't read at all. The worst was when I discovered that the person helping a kid with his reading was illiterate herself. Boy was that awkward and depressing.

After living out here, Houston's ghetto is not ghetto at all. I mean, the students in Houston had water they could drink, clothes to wear to school, and heat. There is a difference between poverty and nothing, and it's wider than I thought.

mina said...

Poverty and nothing. It's an excellent point. You're on the "nothing" side, and I'm on...well...I don't know what side I'm on, exactly.

I was at a conference at UCLA yesterday, and I got into a conversation with a couple of guys from my credentialing program about the weird material culture down here, how our kids do live in this insane poverty - eight or nine people to an apartment, no glasses, no dental care, stealing each others' meal tickets when they lose them, etc. - and yet they all sport this season's RocaWear (jeans $54-78), and it's not uncommon for me to bust someone for playing with their PSP ($249.99 plus batteries and games) in class. They laugh and wave iPods when I ask them to put their CD players away. "Does anyone even have those anymore?"

The other day our journal prompt was, Where do you see yourself in ten years? One of my seniors wrote, "I'm going to have a good job so I can buy an Escalade."

So there it is.

The biggest cultural gap between me and my students is not the fact that I was born into literate suburbia and they worked in mechanics' garages in Guatemala from the time they were four. It is that I do not drive. They cannot understand this. They refuse to. "But, you make a lot of money!" (ha ha) Or, my favorite, "You expect me to believe..."

They seriously think that I do have a car, but that it's so nice I don't want to tell them about it for fear of it being keyed or stolen. Currently it is a Mercedes. But that changes.

So what is this, exactly? Parents, guilty that they work so many jobs, buying electronics in lieu of quality time? Older siblings handing down what they never had? My students themselves, buying the life they see on the TV?

The thing is, right about 100% of my students work. Those who aren't old enough for work permits work with their families. I ask them what they use the money for, and most of them say it is to help pay the rent.

I don't understand any of it.